SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
The Controls Engineer is a member of a team of electric and controls professionals, responsible for design, integration, start-up, testing and maintenance of Schuler industrial control systems. This role places a heavy emphasis on the development and design of industrial press and automation software and controls. These controls projects are in general mission-critical and require a strong commitment to on-time delivery. Projects range from software modifications to complete equipment and system upgrades, including new electrical hardware, control PCs, PLCs, HMIs and integrated safety systems. Service and supporting roles, as outlined below, are also an integral part of this position.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Software design and development
- Responsible to establish all possible options for designing and developing the best functional and economical solutions based on sound analytical judgment and team input.
- Responsible for following and implementing all applicable standards and customer requirements, including local and national safety standards.
- Accountable for writing transparent code that is highly reusable, modular, and maintainable.
- Understand and map all functional requirements of a control system prior to design start. Create project outlines and gain approval from team members and customers.
- Develop and maintain PC based equipment and motion control software based on Beckhoff TwinCat.
- Develop and maintain PLC equipment control and safety software, based on a variety of programmable controllers, such as Siemens S7F and TIA, Allen Bradley ControlLogix and GuardLogix and others.
- Develop HMI software based on Siemens WinCC and WinCC Flexible, Allen Bradley FactoryTalk View and others.
- Develop software according to functional and technical design specifications as described in corresponding project sales documents, contracts and project outlines.
- Initiate the review and approval process for software as outlined in contracts with customers.
- Initiate the review and approval process for software delivered by 3rd party suppliers.
- Responsible to implement software onsite within the predetermined time frame.
- Author technical documentation such as operator manuals and technical training handbooks.
Service and supporting roles
- Support the Field Service Group in preparation of installations and software updates.
- Provide troubleshooting assistance to Schuler field service technicians and engineers.
- Troubleshoot customers problems remotely and onsite.
- Assist onsite installation if required.
- Participate in on-call service program.
- Occasional service calls may be required.
- Visit customers on occasional sales or project meetings.
- Perform as Project Manager on specific jobs based on assignment by the Service Engineering Manager.
- Support Customer Service Representatives in spare parts order processing by providing technical information.
- Prepare and facilitate technical training programs for internal and external customers.
- Interface with the customer as needed to resolve issues and technical concerns.
- Supports new machine sales with technical information when requested.
The descriptions as noted above cover the most significant duties as performed but do not exclude other occasional work assignments not mentioned. The inclusion of such work assignments would be in conformity with the general nature of this job.
- Bachelor degree in a related field is preferred.
Technical knowledge and experience
- A minimum of three years of experience in designing industrial control systems, preferably in the field of hydraulic and mechanical power presses and press automation systems.
- Beckhoff TwinCat.
- Allen Bradley RS Logix 5, 500, Studio 5000, FactoryTalk-View.
- Siemens S7, TIA Portal, WinCC, WinCC Flexible.
- Experience with Motion Control.
- Experience with industrial networking such as PROFIBUS, PROFINET, EtherNet/IP and EtherCat.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office 2010.
- Familiar with ERP systems, preferably SAP.
- Ability to travel, nationally and abroad.
- Speaks and writes in English with a high level of sophistication.
- Possesses excellent verbal and nonverbal communication skills. Is able to convey messages easily and quickly.
- Able to facilitate discussions and give presentations with highly technical content. Presents clearly and informatively.
- German language skills are beneficial.
This position reports to the corresponding Group Leader and the Service Engineering Manager. Coordinates related activities with service sales, field service, purchasing, project management and customers. There are no supervisory responsibilities assigned to this position.
To apply for this opportunity, please send your resume, a cover letter, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org